The Pros & Cons Of Team Building Activities
- Increased self-esteem, efficacy and understanding within the individuals who form the team.
- Increased willingness to share ideas with teammates.
- Reduced stress levels.
- Increase in overall group functioning.
- More unity towards common goals and aspirations.
- Time out of work. The trend towards shorter team building events has gathered pace but most still last a day.
- Cost. The cost of team building activity days is not just the actual cost of doing the day but the cost of having a team away from work while they are doing it.
- Return to baseline: many studies, such as the one by Hatch & McCarthy, show that there is a rise in team cohesion lasting from just before the activity until just after, but then there is a decrease, or return to baseline, as soon as two months following a team building activity. Team building is therefore an ongoing process.
The studies from which these lists derived can be read on our Evidence that team building events work page and also on our page What is cohesion?