Pros & Cons of Team Building Activities
- Increased self-esteem, efficacy and understanding within the individuals who form the team.
- Increased willingness to share ideas with team mates.
- Reduced stress levels.
- Increase in overall group functioning.
- More unity towards common goals and aspirations.
- Time out of work. The trend towards shorter team building events has gathered pace but most still last a day.
- Cost. The cost of team building activity days is not just the actual cost of doing the day but the cost of having a team away from work while they are doing it.
- Return to baseline: many studies, such as the one by Hatch & McCarthy, show that there is a rise in team cohesion lasting from just before the activity until just after, but then there is a decrease, or return to baseline, as soon as two months following a team building activity. Team building is therefore an ongoing process.